Original Published 08:55 May 24, 2022

By Ian Croft, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter

On May 11, McDonald’s hosted McHappy Day in Taber, as they partnered with the Taber and District Health Foundation to help raise mon- ey for two NICU Qube mini monitors. 

“The TDHF is grateful to the Taber McDonald’s for choosing us as their sponsored charity once again,” said Aline Holmen, director of Fundraising and Development at TDHF. “We have had an excellent relationship with the owners and staff for several years and appreciate their willingness to work with us to fundraise for the purchase of an item related to children. For 2022/2023, the funds raised will go towards the purchase of two NICU Qube mini monitors for the Taber Health Centre Acute Care Wing. These portable monitors will provide uninterrupted information about the baby’s vital signs, alerting the medical staff of possible complications. The purchase of these monitors fulfils a need in the Taber Hospital. At this time, each monitor costs roughly $13,000,” said Holmen. “The decision has not yet been made as to whether one will be purchased this year and one next or both at the same time.” 

During McHappy Day, $5 from each meal deal, $4 from each Happy Meal, and $1 from each coffee sold goes towards the TDHF and the Ronald McDonald Child Hospital. TDHF will receive 75 per cent of the funds raised, the remaining 25 per cent will go to the Ronald McDonald House. Taber Mayor Andrew Prokop, came out to show his support by helping out the staff in the drive-thru.

“Great, it’s always a great cause there and I can’t say no to a great cause like that for sure,” said Prokop  when asked about his time volunteering. “I was dealing with the drive-through handing out product at the window and it was over the lunch hour, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. — that’s probably their busiest time or one of their busiest times. It’s a great annual event and you’ve got to support those causes the best you can. I love to see these fundraisers go on for these great causes. There’s so much need for them, there’s so much help  out there, for what the organization is doing, so it is only reasonable and natural to support those kinds of things.” 

Finally, Holmen took the time to thank all the individuals who helped make this fundraiser a possibility. “We are extremely grateful for the support from McDonald’s,” said Holmen. “Volunteers and everyone in the community who came out to support this initiative.” 

This item reprinted from The Taber Times, Taber, Alberta